Friday, April 1, 2011

GOOD... BETTER.... BEST!

This week's lecture was all focused around ethics. We did a whole bunch of scenarios where we had to decide to support one story or the other. What I found most interesting is that most of the options we had were not between good and bad but rather two decent options to choose from.
With General Conference right around the corner, this activity reminded me of the talk given a few years ago about "Good, Better, Best." Most of the decisions in life will not be one's where there is a clear line between what is good and what is bad. There will be a few but not many. And I believe that if we have prepared ourselves prior to this then those decisions will be really easy to make. The real challenge comes when trying to choose between something that is good and something that is better. When this happens, you really have to search into what your core ethics and values are. You have to know what you really want in the long run, not necessarily what is appealing for today.
As I apply this to my leadership role, it is very relevant. In Relief Society, there are many ways that we can go about helping the sisters in my ward. However, we need to take the time and find what way is BEST to help them become the BEST girls they can become. Each and every girl needs help in a different way and I need to search hard to find what is best for them.

As an update from previous weeks, our visiting teaching numbers were off the charts this month. I really think that working from the bottom up helped a lot and made it so we were more successful. There was only one companionship in our entire Relief Society that didn't get their VT done this month. YAY.. I am so proud of my girls. Well, that is all for this week. I'll keep you updated next week.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I'm so proud of our girls, too! And the bottom up leading really did work well. I was just thinking about that with "leading change" and it's definitely the most effective way to do it. Get the people on board who have to do the changing and then the change isn't traumatic, it's a team effort.

    ReplyDelete