Friday, March 25, 2011

Situational Leadership

This week's lessons were highly informative. I learned some great things that will be very important to my leadership role now and in the future. We learned about situational leadership. On Monday we learned a few things that I really liked. First, when we are put in tough situations, never forget the divine. Never lose sight of what is truly important and what matters most. The other thing that I learned was that different situations demand different kinds of leadership. We have talked about many different typs of leadership this year and I have worked hard each week to acquire characteristics of those types each week but it wasn't until this week that I learned the importance of having a wide range of leadership skills. Depending on different situations, I will have to use different approaches to leading others.
This is highly important when applying it to my leadership role. As Relief Society president, every person that I serve and watch over is different. In my ward, there are varying people all with different concerns and needs. This requires me to be able to adapt to different situations easily and to have an open mind to the needs of the sisters.
This Sunday I am giving my last Relief Society lesson for the year and I plan to teach on carying out some of the things we have learned this year at BYU and keeping those things with us throughout the summer. There are many things that I think the sisters in my ward need to hear so I will try and pull as many of those ideas together to best fit everyone. I have loved getting to know the sisters in my ward and they have made me a better leader, friend, supporter, and overall just a better person. I will forever be grateful for this experience and the growth I have experienced from it!

1 comment:

  1. I look up to bunches. And I'm excited for Sunday. =) I think one of your strengths as a leader is certainly accessing the divine guidance you need to take care of everyone in the way Christ would if He were here. You live close to the Spirit so you know what our girls need. I've learned a lot from serving with you. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete