Friday, March 4, 2011

Public Speaking

Well this week has been an eventful one to say the least. I learned how to speak in public and then I gave a presentation on an awesome book.
There was one thing that we learned on Monday in our group lecture that really stuck out to me about public speaking. It was that you first need to know your audience. And of course I already knew that but not to the extent that she took it.
I have personally experienced times when a guest speaker came to a class of mine and spoke on something at the time that was very difficult to hear. I have had some interesting/hard experiences in life. When I was nine my older brother and sister were taken in a car accident. A few months after, we moved from where we were living in Colorado to Spanish Fork, Utah. In my first few months of school, we had a lady come to our class and talk about drunk driving. At the time, this was a huge deal to me. As a little 9 year old, I could not hold back the tears and the class quickly became very awkward and I left in tears.
As she spoke to us on Monday, I realized how important it is to truly KNOW your audience. Of course, there was no way that this nice counselor could have known but now that I look back, I realize how helpful it would have been if I would have had a little heads up to the topic being discussed and if she would have known a little of my background.
As I apppy this to my current leadership role, it is a very prevelant topic. In Relief Society, we are there to help others draw closer to Christ and to help them strengthen their testimony. This week, my goal is is to get to know a few of the girls a little more. I will do visits one night this week and get to know a few girls a little deeper. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) has a story. I want to know their story!

Its going to be a SPECTACULAR week!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think that you do an amazing job in your leadership role. Especially at knowing your audience. I think that you are pretty awesome as a person and as a leader! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete