Thursday, March 17, 2011

Strategic Planning

This week we learned about strategic planning by using the model RACE! RACE stands for Research, Action Plan, Carry Out, and Evaluate. I really enjoyed being able to take a problem step by step to find the best solution to our problem. It was quite ironic because the problem our group was given was a ward problem that was to be discussed at ward council. I participate in ward council each month and we are often faced with problems similar to the one we worked through on Wednesday in class. 

As I attempt to cary some of the things that I learned on Wednesday into my leadership role, I found that it will be crucial to start at the foundation and work through PrOACT. PrOACT stands for problem, objectives, alternatives, consequences, and tradeoffs. It is crucial that you really find what the problem is before you try to work on solutions. In my calling, we have really been struggling with getting girls to report their visiting teaching. The district leaders have a hard time remembering to contact the girls that do not contact them and this makes it so my counselors have to call a lot of girls each week. For the past few weeks we have be trying to work from the top down and it REALLY has not worked at all. After much conversation, we decided that we needed to work from the bottom (foundation) up. We gathered all of our district supervisors and just let them know what our problem was and how they could help. I am hoping that this will help and that we will begin to see better results. This next Sunday I hope to see that from the bottom up, the girls have reported their information. I'll be sure to let you know if it works or if there are other adjustments we need to make! 
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment